The C. Branca Mountain Shelter was built between 1932 and 1934 by the Milan Branch of the Club Alpino Italiano on receiving a donation from Mrs. Giuseppina Branca in memory of her brother avv. Cesare, an enthusiastic and noteworthy alpine mountaineer.
Designed by the engineer, Cesare De Micheli, it was constructed on a level area of land chosen by the Chief Guide, Giuseppe Tuana from Bormio and by the Alpine Guides from Valfurva Erminio Confortola and Felice Alberti.
In 1978 a “dependance” was added to the mountain shelter thanks to the endowment by the Martinelli family in memory of their father Genesio.
In 1985, the Milan Branch of the Clup Alpino Italiano carried out a further extension using the subsidy received from the Regione Lombardia.
In 1995 it was restructured, joining the Martinelli dependance to the main building with the construction of new and spacious facilities (heated equipment storeroom and toilets).